Call Us: 575-437-0890
- The first contact that you receive from Southern New Mexico Surgery Center will be from the Business Office to coordinate and review your insurance, demographics, and answer all your questions in relation to the business component.
- You will then be contacted by a nursing staff within two days of your scheduled procedure to review your health information, give detailed instructions on what to expect, arrival time, and the protocol to follow.
- You do not need to arrive early. We have already scheduled time to get you ready for surgery.
- Before you leave home, bring directions to the surgery center and the phone number 575-437-0890 in case you need assistance locating the facility.
- Bring your legal picture ID, medical insurance cards, and any required co-pays if applicable.
- Bring a copy of any power of attorney, advance directives, or custody paperwork if applicable.
- If you are to arrive prior to 7:00 am, there will be no one to greet you at the front desk. Please sign in and a nursing personnel will be with you shortly.
- If you are scheduled to arrive in the pm, please feel free to call the facility prior to leaving your house to assure the surgeon is running on time. This is not required but may save you additional wait time prior to your procedure.
- Remember due to HIPPA regulations we are unable to release information to any unauthorized individuals who may call or come to the facility inquiring about your care without your consent.
Prior to Your Scheduled Surgery
- Complete the Patient Health Screening on One Medical Passport
- Call your physician immediately if you notice a change in your health between the time you saw your surgeon and the day of your procedure.
- Drink extra fluids the day before the surgery unless otherwise restricted by a medical condition but remember to stop all foods and liquids when the nurse instructed you to.
- You will receive specific instructions on when to stop eating and drinking and any medications you should and should not take prior to surgery when you talk to the nursing staff a week to two days prior to your scheduled procedure.
- If you were instructed to obtain a medical clearance, make sure you have an appointment to see your physician prior to surgery.
- Educate yourself on expected post op pain. This will be discussed in detail when you are talking to the nursing staff. Keep in mind that there will be some discomfort after surgery. Our goal is to keep your pain at a tolerable level, not to be pain-free.
- Refrain from smoking or consuming alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to procedure. If you are unable to refrain from smoking, please ask your nurse for alternative instructions.
- Take a shower prior to your procedure. You may have a dressing that cannot be removed until your follow-up appointment with your surgeon.
- Wash all bed linens prior to your procedure. Coming home to clean sheets helps reduce the risk of infection!
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing on the day of surgery (i.e., post op clothing that fits over bulky dressings, slings, etc.). You may wear pajamas if you wish.
- HAVE A RESPONSIBLE ADULT ACCOMPANY YOU TO THE CENTER AND DRIVE YOU HOME FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY. YOUR SURGERY CANNOT PROCEED WITHOUT YOUR COMPANION. YOU WILL BE SLEEPY FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURE AND UNABLE TO DRIVE.
- Bring containers to store your contacts, eyeglasses, hearing aid, etc.
- Bring post op equipment (i.e., crutches, braces, O2 if used at home, etc.)
- Remove all jewelry including wedding bands and all body piercing.
- Do not wear makeup, hairpins, nail polish, body powder, or contact lenses if possible.
- For children: bring child’s favorite toys, blankets, bottles, Sippy cups, diapers.
- Remember to bring your child’s car seat and or booster seat; We cannot discharge a child to a vehicle without proper safety devices in place.
Medical Passports are secure, online patient-controlled accounts that provide medical history information.
Southern New Mexico Surgery Center offers an easy way for patients to pay your bill.
CareCredit is a healthcare credit card designed for your health and wellness needs for you, your entire family and your pets.
Southern New Mexico Surgery Center is a 2020 National APEX Quality Award Winner.